Sorry, no photo for this one... it got eaten before I could take a photo. Unfortunately I don't think I let this one rise properly because it was a bit dense and I was hoping for a softer bread. It was great toasted with cream cheese though :)
3.5 Cups Unbleached bread flour
4 tsp granulated sugar
1.25 tsp salt
2 tsp instant yeast
1.25 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Large Egg
2 T shortening, melted or at room temperature
1/2 c buttermilk or whole milk, room temp
3.4 c water, room temp
1.5 c raisins, rinsed and drained
1 C chopped walnuts (I used Pecans)
1. Stir together dry ingredients. Add all of the wet ingredients and stir together until the ingredients form a ball. Adjust with flour or water if the dough seems too sticky or too dry.
2. Sprinkle flour on a counter and begin kneading or mix on medium speed in a mixer with the dough hook. The dough should be soft and pliable, tacky but not sticky. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or 6-8 minutes in mixer. Sprinkle in the raisins and walnuts during the last 2 minutes of kneading. The dough should pass the windowpane test.
3. Lightly oil a large bowl and transfer the dough, rolling it to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and ferment at room temperature for about 2 hours until dough doubles in size.
4. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces and shape into loaves. Place in greased loaf pans. Spray lightly with oil and cover with plastic wrap. Proof at room temp until the dough crests about the lips of the pans about 60-90 minutes.
5. Bake the loaves for 20 minutes, rotate pans and bake for another 20-30 minutes. It should register 190 in the center. Remove bread from the pans immediately and let it cool for about 1 hour before serving.